Ice Axe Expeditions will manage registrations for the Antarctic Peninsula Adventure Cruise. Click this button to go to their site where you can sign up and pay for your spot on the boat.
If you would like to attend the CME portion of the course and get your CME credits, you must register for that portion of the course here at our site seperately. Click the Register button below to register for CME.
REGISTER FOR CME:
Cost and Options
This $899 fee covers the 13 hours of Category 1 CME issued by the WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY and taught by Tahoe Wilderness Medicine, LLC.
Students must also book a spot on the Ice Axe Expeditions Antarctic Peninsula Adventure Cruise 2020.
Physicians and other medical professionals who engage in wilderness activities, who counsel individuals who take part in such activities, or who are likely to encounter illness or injury in remote or resource-limited settings.
The Wilderness Medical Society designates this educational activity for a maximum of 13 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Each physician should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
13 California Continuing Education credits are available for Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics.
Antarctic Peninsula Expedition: Nov 2020
Explore the Antarctica Peninsula with Ice Axe Expeditions and learn Wilderness Medicine
A once in a lifetime oppurtunity for those with an adventure-driven spirit. This expedition will combine continuing medical education (CME) with a unique opportunity to trek, ski and snowboard several of Antarctica's untamed peaks. Journey deep into the rugged landscape of one of earth’s last frontiers while enjoying the convenience, safety and comfort of the Sea Adventurer expedition ship. Sail past Cape Horn, across the Drake Passage and along the Antarctic Peninsula and join an exclusive group of intrepid travelers inspired by the legacy of Antarctic discovery.
Experience true modern exploration as you travel to a land covered by glaciers, never conquered by man. Travel through alleys of icebergs and study the blue mystery of such extraordinary formations of nature. Explore harbors and bays while surrounded by clouds of seabirds and become enveloped in the raw magnificence. Witness the profound beauty and isolation of a land covered by ice. Listen to glaciers calve and observe with wonder minke whales, black-browed albatross, snow petrels, penguins and seals.
Ponder the complexity of the fragile and dynamic ecosystem of the Antarctic Peninsula. Daily shore landings, lectures and zodiac excursions will cover the history, biology, geology and politics of our Southernmost continent. Actively explore this frontier or contemplate the social structure of a penguin colony.
For almost 20 years now, Doug Stoup, world's leading polar explorer and guide, has been taking clients to the most desolate destinations on the globe. Not only has Doug been to the poles more than anyone on earth, and Antarctica over 40 times, the experienced crew at Ice Axe Expeditions is ready to take you on a journey of a lifetime to Antarctica.
- 13 hours of Category 1 CME issued by the WILDERNESS MEDICAL SOCIETY and taught by Tahoe Wilderness Medicine, LLC. Must pay the CME fee ($899) to attend CME sessions.
- 1 night pre-expedition shared hotel accommodation in Ushuaia, Argentina. This room includes a continental breakfast.
- Group dinner in Ushuaia.
- Group transfers from the hotel to the ship on embarkation and from the ship to the airport on disembarkation and all miscellaneous service taxes and port charges.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board the Sea Adventurer.
- Shore landings and Zodiac excursions as permitted by weather and local conditions.
- Presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers.
- Expedition certificate.
- Photographic DVD chronicling the voyage.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information package
- Use of a pair of rubber expedition boots on loan for shore landings. These will be returned at the end of the voyage.
What's not included
- Airfares to or from your home city, whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Passport and visa expenses. Tourist entry fees may apply depending on your nationality.
- Any government arrival and departure airport taxes.
- Ski or trekking equipment.
- Any meals ashore with the exception of breakfast at the host hotel and the Welcome dinner on the evening prior to departure.
- Baggage, cancellation and travel insurance (emergency medical and evacuation insurance is mandatory. Ice Axe can help you to arrange this insurance if you need assistance.)
- Excess baggage charges.
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges onboard the ship or at the hotel.
- Telecommunications charges or the customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for stewards, guides, and other service personnel.
- Tips for guides and hospitality staff.
Learn practical wilderness medicine skills in an outdoor environment
Through lectures, hands-on sessions, and scenarios, you will enhance your medical training and learn to apply your medical knowledge to the winter outdoor environment.
- Acute Mountain Sickness
- Ski and Snowboard Injury Patterns
- Avalanche Resuscitation
- Fractures and Dislocations in the the Wilderness
- Wilderness Medical Kits
- Pre-hospital Patient Assessment and Care in the Wilderness
- Wilderness Rescue for the Backcountry Traveler
- Avalanche Rescue
- Avalanche Case Scenarios
After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate increased awareness of medical problems unique to the wilderness and austere environments
- Prevent, diagnose and manage illnesses or injuries in the wilderness and/or remote location
- Promote increased awareness of safety and accident prevention in wilderness surroundings
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of the Wilderness Medical Society and Tahoe Wilderness Medicine, LLC. The Wilderness Medical Society is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Tahoe Wilderness Medicine, LLC reserves the right to change or substitute course faculty without advance or prior notice to participants.
All faculty reported no relevant financial relationships to disclose.