Level 1 Avalanche (AIARE) and Winter Wilderness Medicine - Donner Summit / Tahoe California
Tahoe Wilderness Medicine, LLC is partnering with the Alpine Skills International to offer this Level 1 avalanche class combined with Winter Wilderness Medicine with 13 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
Students must be able to travel in avalanche terrain. This can be done using skis, splitboard or snowboard with snowshoes (see prerequisites below). Please familiarize yourself with the following resources as they will help prepare you for the topics discussed in the course.
An AIARE Level 1 Certificate will be awarded upon completion.
ON AN AIARE AVALANCHE LEVEL 1 YOU WILL LEARN ABOUT:
Introduction to the Avalanche Phenomena
- Types and characteristics of avalanches
- Avalanche motion
- Size classification
- The mountain snowpack: an introduction to metamorphism and layering
Observations and Information Gathering
- Field observation techniques
- Bonding tests: rutschblock, compression test
- Avalanche danger factors “Red Flags”
- Observation checklist
- Avalanche danger scale
- Trip Planning and Preparation
- Avalanche terrain recognition, assessment and selection
- Route finding and travel techniques
- Decision making and Human Factors
- Companion Rescue and Equipment
Truckee, The Back Country or
Sugar Bowl, Backcountry Adventure Center - (TBA)
Field Time Location:
Top of Donner Pass
This Tahoe Wilderness Medicine LLC course operates in conjunction with Alpine Skills International under Special Use Permit, Tahoe National Forest.
LEARN PRACTICAL WINTER WILDERNESS MEDICINE SKILLS IN THE OUTDOOR WINTER ENVIRONMENT
Through lectures, hands-on sessions and scenarios, you will enhance your medical training and learn to apply your medical knowledge to the winter outdoor environment.
- Acute Mountain Sickness
- Ski and Snowboard Injury Patterns
- Avalanche Resuscutation
- Fractures and Dislocations in the the Wilderness
- Wilderness Medical Kits
- Pre-hospital Patient Assessment and Care in the Wilderness
- Wilderness Rescue for the Backcountry Traveler
- Avalanche Rescue
- Avalanche Case Scenarios
After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate increased awareness of medical problems unique to the wilderness and austere environments
- Prevent, diagnose and manage illnesses or injuries in the wilderness and/or remote location
- Promote increased awareness of safety and accident prevention in wilderness surroundings